Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Rochelle learns about "The Outsiders"

     After the incredible success of teaching Rochelle about "Midnight Madness", it was time to teach her something new. I think a whole 6 people read my last the post including my mom. I'm about to be viral. Other people who read my blog(or claimed to) my high school doubles partner,  another huge 80's fan. Also made the girl next to me at work read it too. I think she liked since I haven't been reported to HR for anything. 
    
    Not too sure Rochelle read it.  I am still blocked from her phone. I saw her Saturday out. She smiled and ran the other direction. I think that's progress. Now the problem is what to teach her next, and more importantly how to find her. Topics I was considering teaching Rochelle: Reagan assassination attempt, New Coke, Max Headroom? But I stumbled on a classic movie with actors were just about to make it big. "The Outsiders".

     Here's the plot:  The rivalry between two gangs, the poor Greasers and the rich Socs, only heats up when one gang member kills a member of the other. Perfect. Makes sense. Now look who stars in it. The film is noted for its cast of up-and-coming stars, including C. Thomas Howell(who garnered a Young Artist Award), Rob LoweEmilio EstevezMatt DillonTom CruisePatrick SwayzeRalph Macchio, and Diane Lane. The film helped spark the Brat Pack genre of the 1980s. 

    The problem how to find Rochelle. I not allowed to go to her apartment. Blocked from her phone. And she stopped going to the bars I frequent. I know she teaches in a town west of Fort Worth. I go there. She's a third grade teacher. One problem. I need to find her without arousing suspicion. I don't want to be banned from going to elementary schools. I have two nieces and a nephew. So I wait by her car after school. 3 hours later, I find out it's not her car. Oh well.

    "The Outsiders" is one of the more popular coming of age films of the 80's. The Godfather's Francis Ford Coppola directed it. Every teenage girl fell in love with Howell(Pony Boy) or Macchio(Johnny). In fact 80's legends Swayze, Cruise and Lowe were never mentioned in the reviews I heard from the girls at my school. Macchio moved on to become a Karate Kid. Howell became a Soul Man. Then both were never heard from again on Jan. 1, 1990.

     The book was written by S.E. Hinton. Dillon starred in two more of his novels. One before "Tex" and one after "Rumble Fish". The latter also directed by Coppola with Lane in both. Hinton's other 1980"s movie was "That was Then.. This is Now" which starred Emilo Estevez. I don't think I have met any one who has seen this film .

    Besides making teenage girls fall in love with Brat Pack, the movie has other lasting values: Drunk guys in the 80's screaming, "let's do it for Johnny!", calling your buddy Pony Boy when he bleached his hair blonde(happened to me), and the second best version of "Gloria" by Van Morrison(The Doors have the best). Also 1970's has been Leif Garrett plays the douche soc, who gets killed. This will be the last anyone hears of him until his VH1's Behind the Music in segment the 90's. Unless you want to count him dating Justine Bateman during her "Family Ties" run. 

    Other random facts:
Tom Cruise and Emilio Estevez were childhood friends. They came to the audition together.
Rob Lowe didn't see the film till 23 years later.
All the main actors are in their teens expect for Macchio 22 and Swayze 29.
This was Tom Cruise's only film of 1983, in which he did not have a starring role. The others are Risky Business (1983), Losin' It (1983) and All the Right Moves (1983). It was also his last supporting role in a film until Magnolia (1999).

    Great movie. Great 1980's deep dive. Go ahead watch it again. Unlike Rochelle, who still isn't talking to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment