Friday, October 6, 2017

Showing Rochelle "Midnight Madness"

     Last year I thought I would start a blog about teaching my friend Rochelle the 80"s. Then life happened, and I never got around to doing it. I'm annoyed. People need to learn about the 80's. If I drop the ball, then Rochelle will never learn about the most awesome decade ever. So what should I start with? "Revenge of the Nerds", "Cheers" or anything Eddie Murphy. Good choices but I am going with a deep dive. The 1980 comedy "Midnight Madness" will be my first choice. 
   
     The city of Los Angeles is the game board as five teams of college students attempt to win "The Great All-Nighter," a dusk-to-dawn competition dreamed up by an eccentric graduate student, Leon. Now this might sound familiar since three months early the movie "Scavenger Hunt" came out. Same plot but the winning team wins $200 million dollar estate, Unfortunately it came on 12/21/1979. So it doesn't make my cut. "Midnight Madness" came out 02/08/1980.

    Since Rochelle hasn't returned my calls or texts for like six months. I take matters into my on hands. I just show up to her place unannounced with a "Midnight Madness" DVD. It is rude and creepy. But the 80"s must be taught. I knock on her door. 
     "Monty, what are doing here?
     I am hear to show you this 80's classic "Midnight Madness".
     "You seriously just showed up to my place. No call or anything?"
     Well, you don't return my texts or phone calls. 
     "I wonder why. I can't believe I'm your friend." Door slams in my face. 
    
    Hmm. Maybe I should have called first? That didn't go as planned. So I watched part of the movie again. Great 80's opening with hot girls in roller skates giving invitations to the game to the five teams. Here are the teams: The five teams, each designated by colors: white (nerds who hate green), green (meat machine who hate red), red (sorority sisters who hate green), yellow (good guys who play fair), and blue (cheaters who hate yellow).

    The yellow team is lead by David Naughton of the Dr Pepper commercial and "American Werewolf in London" fame. They are the good guys. The blue team is lead by the late Stephen Furst from Animal House. The bad guys. There's a computer in a van that's helps the blue team figure out the clues. I am calling bull shit on this super computer. No one had a decent computer in 1980, especially one in van. Cool vans in the 80's on had water beds. 

     Random facts about the movie:
Michael J. Fox's movie debut.
One of the members of the Blue Team, Andy Tennant, directed "Hitch".
Second Disney film to be rated PG.
Most the players wore converse shoes. 
The reason David Naughton didn't make big in the 80's is his wooden acting. But hey,  he was in a Skinemax movie with 1987 Playmate of the Year India Allen in the 90's.
David Naughton does drink Dr Pepper in the movie. 
Was an inspiration for 1997's "The Game".
The movie inspired copy cat games through out the nation. 

    Maybe next time Rochelle might watch the movie with, but she has blocked my number from her phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment